Richard McFarlane - InnoTech Alberta
Oil Sands Technologies
Richard McFarlane is a Principal Researcher with a background in physical chemistry and chemical engineering. Over the past 30 years, his main areas of research and industrial activity include:
- Chemical processing including partial upgrading of bitumen, heavy oil and distillate fractions,
- Treatment of rag layers from bitumen-water separation,
- Asphaltene aggregation and flocculation in oil mixtures,
- Desalting of water-in-bitumen emulsions,
- Reducing acidity (TAN) of heavy oil and bitumen.
These and others of his R&D activities have supported industrial development of heavy oil and bitumen activities in Alberta.