Indigenous Microbial Enhanced Oil Recovery (iMEOR)
Joint Industry Project (JIP)
The iMEOR JIP is a research program that aims to de-risk today’s MEOR process by delivering scientifically verified microbial stimulation packages as a low-cost, effective tertiary oil recovery application.
The objectives of the iMEOR JIP are:
- Use InnoTech Alberta’s microbiology expertise to design and develop field specific nutrient packages for the MEOR processes applicable to light oil and conventional heavy oil reservoirs.
- Use InnoTech Alberta’s reservoir engineering expertise and facilities to demonstrate incremental oil recovery at the lab scale and understand/verify MEOR mechanisms.
- Develop and transfer the MEOR processes to operators for field implementation focusing on minimizing CAPEX and OPEX.
- Evaluate and monitor field data from MEOR-treated cases, determine the dominant microbial effect for incremental oil recovery, and adjust protocol if necessary.
- Provides a means to significantly leverage R&D investments, with operators directly setting research priorities and providing R&D direction.
- Access to the research and engineering staff at InnoTech Albertta throughout the year.
- Provides an opportunity to network and learn from the experience of other members.
- Operating companies
- Service companies
- Universities and Research Institutes