The Bitumen and Heavy Oil group at InnoTech Alberta is currently working in the following areas:
Specialized technology development requires specialized facilities and equipment.
Bitumen and heavy oil physical and numerical simulation facilities
- High head facility
- Govier Centre
- 3D visualization centre
Materials engineering facilities
- Slurry flow loop
- Sour lab
- PTA welding lab
- Industrial-scale welding and fabrication equipment
- Polymer processing lab
- Environment control chambers
- Pilot facilities
How do we develop secondary recovery process for Athabasca oil sands? How do we develop primary/secondary recovery process for heavy and conventional oil? How do we develop primary/secondary processes for heavy and conventional oil?
These are just some of the questions InnoTech's Oil and Gas sector applied research seeks to answers, as part of its Grand Challenges.
Teams supporting our Oil and Gas sector include:
- Analysis and Testing Services
- Environmental Analytical Services - Performs analysis of environmental and industrial samples consisting of air, gas, water, soils, sediments, and solids, as well as plant and animal tissue.
- Ecosystems and Plant Sciences
- Reclamation - Applies science and innovative technologies for restoration of disturbed ecosystems.
- Water Management - Provides better tools for investigation and sustainable management of regional water resources for industrial, agricultural, and municipal development in Alberta.
- Materials and Manufacturing
- Applied Spectroscopy - Specializes in spectroscopic interpretation for industrial measurements facilitating uptake of leading-edge measurement techniques.
- Processing Technologies
- Fluid Systems Engineering - Improves the reliability of fluid transportation systems through the evaluation of wear and process mechanisms, assessment of novel materials, and development of appropriate qualification testing methods.
- Integrated Energy Systems - Improves energy efficiency by evaluating waste heat recovery and energy-storage systems.
- Surface Technologies - Improves oil sands surface processes including mining, tailings treatment, in-situ produced fluids treatment, and upgrading through process development and evaluation.
- Reservoir and Geosciences
- Production Technology - Improves production operations in steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD), cyclic steam stimulation (CSS), and primary heavy oil recovery applications.
- Reservoir Engineering
- Solvent Processes - Develops new solvent-injection-based in-situ recovery processes for heavy oil and bitumen.
- Steam Processes - Improves steam-injection-based in-situ recovery processes for heavy oil and bitumen.
- Hybrid Processes - Develops new in-situ recovery processes with co-injection of steam and solvent for heavy oil and bitumen.
- Tight Oil and Water Flooding - Develops in-situ recovery processes for conventional heavy oil, tight oil, and shale gas.
For more information, contact: